Leafs and Avalanche
Uploaded by: Martin Arnold
A couple of comments about that 1st period:
1. Keefe starts the game with Kerfoot and Barrie playing, opposite the Avs MacKinnon line.
I'm thinkin' yeah this is a statement. Keefe is showing his troops that he's the "Anti Mike", and is throwing a bone to the former Avs players. This will stand in stark contrast to Mike leaving Spezza in the press box when the Buds opened the season in Ottawa. So I'm already pissed off and the puck hasn't even been dropped -- basically I'm still a little sore (OK a lot sore) about Mike getting fired, so I'm finding fault w everything Keefe does. I'm an old man yelling "Get off of my lawn!". Then 30 seconds into the game MacKinnon scores! Holy mother-of-all-confirmation biases! Ya see, you dumb ass, you start fvking Barrie versus MacKinnon &$*&^# . I'm cursing a blue streak, I'm superfly TNT, I'm the guns of Navarone.
2. Nik Shore, local Colorada boy scores, and I start breathin' normal.
3. Went to get a coffee, returned to the TV and Leafs are up 2-1. Whoa. Cactus. Missed that one. Cactus is one bad mother of a hockey player. On any of the nine other planets that don't have a Connor McDavid, he'd be the best player on the planet.
4. Barrie scores on the PP w a sweet shot after a beautiful set up by Wee Willie. The Leafs bench is losing it's mind, everyone is giggling and standing up and partying ... then the camera pans up to Doobie Doo in an executive box, and the pic of Dubas makes the Leafs bench look like a morgue! Dubas looks like he just blew a load.
5. Around the 17-minute mark the Leafs are skating around the Avs zone playing a hockey version of the Harlem Globtrotters. Willie steams into the Oz, drop passes it to Cactus, who takes a couple of strides then drop passes it to Holl, who passes it right back to Cactus, who blasts one at the net and AJ is poking around for loose change (that Grubauer this time doesn't give up). No goal, but jeezus the Buds look like the weight of the world was lifted off their shoulders.
6. Leafs score again. Wow, 0-1, 1-1, 2-1, 3-1, 4-1.
7. Tyson Barrie must feel like this past week he won the lottery, and the cheque was delivered personally by Rhiana and Shakira. He's gone from "I want to be traded" to "I got 2 goals and 3 assists, in 4 games".